Monday, October 14, 2013

Baked Vegetable Spring Rolls

Yum

Crispy spring rolls filled with cabbage, daikon, and carrot, then baked instead of fried.



I made these to accompany my Spicy Vegetable Fried Rice and they really helped to complete the meal.  This was my first attempt at crispy spring rolls and I wanted to bake them instead of frying.  Baking is not only healthier, but I find it easier.  I just rolled these and popped them in the oven for about 20 minutes.  They turned out quite crispy and they seemed to stay that way longer than fried ones.  Remember my Asian Slaw?  I ate that for about a week and had plenty of leftovers so I used those leftovers as my filling for these spring rolls.  Talk about easy, the only prep work these needed was to be rolled and in no time I had delicious and healthy, vegetarian, spring rolls.  I can't wait to try these again, maybe with meat...or not.



Ingredients:

Spring roll wrappers
left over Asian Slaw


Pull the spring roll wrappers out of the freezer 1 hour before using, to allow to thaw.

When thawed, gently peel off one wrapper at a time.  Lay the wrapper flat, on your cooking surface, with one point facing you.  Keep the rest of the wrappers covered with a damp towel.


Place a spoon full of slaw on the wrapper off center, closer to you.  Then roll up, sealing the end with a bit of water or egg.  Continue until you run out of filling, or make as many rolls as you want.


Place rolls seam side down on a baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes at 400F.  Turn the rolls over halfway through baking.

I made a simple sweet and sour dipping sauce for mine that was ketchup, brown sugar, and vinegar.  Use whatever you like.

Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment